Scottish Presbyterian Church of St Andrew
With large numbers of people coming from Scotland to Torquay for health reasons, the need arose for a church. Originally services were held in the Masonic Hall in what was then Park Street- now Park Hill Road. In time a site was given, on part of his own land, by Mr Marchetti; this was overlooking Torwood Gardens and work began in 1862. The Church of St Andrew was opened on 5th April 1863. The church closed in 1951 and was sold. It was purchased by the Christian Scientists in September of 1951 for £8500. For many years it was used as nightclub- the one stipulation being no alcohol could be served- unfortunately modern times caught up with it and the night club was closed. Today it stands forlorn and empty and up for sale.
Return to Church index
Return to Front page