The New Church of England Parishes
Church of St Peter
Another post war housing estate was built on land at Chelston in and around Sherwell Valley. In 1954 a temporary church was erected on the corner of Sherwell Valley Road and Queensway. This was meant to last for five years but eventually ended up being in use until January 1961. Almost immediately work started on the site to erect a very modern looking building with a slender bell tower, this was consecrated on 2 February 1962 and dedicated to St Peter. The adjoining church hall behind took a further six years to complete.
Directly opposite stands the Haywain Public House and the Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Angels
Now in 2004 this whole complex is under threat of either conversion to housing or demolition, again the land to be used for housing.
Return to Church index
Return to Front page