M. BILLING’S 1857 DIRECTORY OF DEVONSHIRE
is a small parish, pleasantly situated, about 2 miles west of
Torquay, containing about 1016 acres of land, and a population in
1851 of 171 inhabitants. The number of voters in 1857 was 4. Newton
Abbott is the polling district.
Cockington, anciently written Cochinton, was formerly in the possession of the Cary family, from whom it was purchased by Rawling Mallock Esq.; Cockington Court , the residence of C. H. Mallock Esq, is beautifully situated in an extensive lawn, surrounded by fine trees, while the rising grounds around are clothed with rich deep woods.
The CHURCH (St Mary) is an ancient and venerable pile, standing on rising ground near the mansion; it consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles and western tower with embattlements; it has an ancient carved screen, extending across the chancel & aisles. The font is very ancient, of octagonal shape, each compartment displaying a coat of arms, amongst which are those of the Carys, Dinhams, Paulets, and Carews. The tower is supposed to have been used as a place of concealment, the doors having bolts on the inside, and the upper story a fireplace. The living is a Perpetual curacy, annexed to Tor, in the patronage of C. H. Mallock Esq., Rev. J. H. Harris D. D. Incumbent; Mr W. H. Davey, Clerk.
ALMHOUSES.- There are seven almshouses for as many poor people, built by Sir. G. Cary, who also endowed them with a yearly rent charge of £30 per annum, out of the manors of Cockington and Chelston.
Crowther Mr Jonathan, Ivy cottage
Louis Mrs, Chelston cottage
Mallock Charles Herbert Esq. Magistrate, Cockington Court
Vivian Mrs, Chelston Manor
Davy William, blacksmith and Parish Clerk.
Photographs of Cockington- CLICK HERE
Return to Front Page-